Thursday, March 14, 2013

Exercise: Revisit your first assignment

The first exercise in Unit 3 is to look back at the feedback from the first assignment and consider what changes we might make in light of it. My feedback mentioned a potential missed opportunity for recording a different culture, and this made me think of more ways to shoot. Since I did this project, I have started to go jogging more in the park, and people of all backgrounds use this park for walking, jogging etc. I had started to think about maybe using these people, as I now feel a little more confident in approaching them to shoot portraits. It feels like this may also address the apparent lack of a 'sense of place.' I have also got to know a few people in the street and thought about shooting family portraits outside houses.
I sat down to think about all of this and was quite excited about a potential reshoot and thought about doing these over the weekends and taking my time to do them. I would also re-process the original shots in monochrome as suggested, to remove the tungsten cast and see what they looked like, although the reshoot during daylight was my preferred option.
At this current moment, however, I am unable to return to my neighbourhood for the foreseeable future and so am unsure what to do next. I will re-process the photos as this is possible where I am, and will keep revising my plans for a reshoot.
I got evacuated from Tawau last week as the FCO deemed the area unsafe. I moved from my house a few days before for security reasons as it was felt I was safer staying in town with my work colleagues. This happened just as I was re-reading the comments from my tutor about assignment 1 and submitting assignment 2, and thinking about the re-shoot.
This whole process is something I am still coming to terms with, and the longer we are away, the more unlikely it seems that we will go back, and even if we do, I am not sure how safe it will feel due to the events just before we left and the potential risks. I have heard that there are lots of police and army now, and navy ships out in the bay so it all feels a little surreal how much it changed since we left just 8 days ago and the area got deemed safe for 'essential travel only.' This was a place I enjoyed driving round and felt secure in most of the time, but it seems all had changed.
I will try and figure out a new plan and keep updating my blog as I go, I am starting to slowly work through Part 3 now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment