Monday, February 11, 2013

Part 2: Experiment with layouts


The next exercise involved lots of research into font types, and what fonts work better for what kids of texts, following links given. The information in the course talked about serif fonts being easier to read in large amounts than sans serif fonts, which I find interesting as I have always gone for writing essays in sans serif fonts such as arial, which I have found nicer to read. But now, having done this exercise, I will print my next MA assignment out in both types of font and see how it feels to read it. 

For this assignment, we had to experiment with 3 different layouts, with a picture, heading and text on the page. I used A5 size, 148x210mm. One problem that I faced was being unable to properly type in columns in photoshop, which is one reason I mentioned in my last post that photoshop may not be the best programme to use for this kind of project. The course book recommends, as I mentioned above, that we can use different text types for contrast. I decided to use a real photo so I could get more of an idea of how this would fit together. To make the columns, I made 2 text boxes, and again used the lorem ipsum text generator.


Layout 1 has a sans serif heading (trebuchet, 30 point), serif text (times, 10 point), and sans serif caption (verdana, 6 point).

Layout 2 has a serif heading (courier, 30 point), sans serif text (verdana, 9 point), and serif caption (times, 6 point).


Layout 3 has all sans serif text. The heading is calibri (34 point), text (verdana, 9 point), and caption (arial, 6 point).

Whilst I will always say that I don't like times as a font, in this case I believe Layout 1 is the easiest to read and to work with. The text in the 2nd and third seems big and clumsy (I did reduce the size more initially but then it was too small to read!). In layout 1, the heading is eyecatching and draws you in more to read the text. I used different fonts to the heading and text for the caption, which shows that this is something in it's own right and think that this does not make the document too messy.



No comments:

Post a Comment