Saturday, July 14, 2012

Book Review - I wanna take me a picture

I wanna take me a picture By Wendy Ewald and Alexandra Lightfoot

I read this book as it was recommended to me a long time ago due to my interest in participatory photography. I put it on my Amazon wish list a few years ago, and totally forgot about it until a couple of months ago when I put in another order and saw it there.

In my current job, I am curious to find out what the children think about the project I am working on and so I am trying to find a way to help them communicate their thoughts. Whilst looking into that, I read this book and have lots of other ideas about getting some of the kids to photograph their lives in general so we can get an overall picture of where they are coming from.

The book has lots of information about setting up darkrooms and teaching about film, which is now not so relevant although still interesting to read about. There is a lot also about setting up projects and about exposing pupils to images and getting them to talk about them in order to develop 'visual' literacy. In a climate there literacy is so important, I feel this may be another way to help develop the pupils in the schools I work with. The book talks about pupils from different backgrounds using photography to share what happens in their lives with fellow pupils, and this will also give teachers an insight. Writing about the photos can also help develop their writing skills. The combination gives a strong way to tell people about their lifestyle.

There is also a wide range of projects described, and how they have been set up by the authors. They seem easily adaptable, it will just take some planning to figure out what to do. I am particularly interested in exploring the "Alphabet Project." using the Malay alphabet and words as a base for the pupils to learn and think about English vocabulary. There are also a lot of ideas from the authors about presentation of images, from exhibitions to fold up books, which can all tie in to the English curriculum. A wonderful and inspiring book.

No comments:

Post a Comment