Sunday, July 1, 2012

I read the latest issue I have of Amateur Photographer, and came across the work of photographer Martin Zalba http://1x.com/artist/martinzalba/info. I have always been fascinated by night photography, and long exposures, and so looking at his work was an amazing experience. I really love being able to make the night sky almost seem like day, and star trails. I remember looking at the work of Hiroshi Sugimoto who did exposures of drive-in-movies, which sparked my fascination with long exposures when I was studying in London. I love the surreal quality. I did some long exposures to get star trails last year in France, and although I got really cold doing it (it was December - my body is now acclimatised to the heat we have all year round in Borneo!), I stil had fun making the shots. A few weeks ago I went to Pom Pom Island, and we had an awesome view of the stars - I totally need to take my D7000 and a tripod when we go back in August, I didn't have either of them with me!

Martin Zalba's work also reminds me of Robert Adams, his series called "Summer Nights, Walking." This was a series with some photos taken at twilight, another favourite time of mine to shoot. My only regret is that living only a few degrees north of the equator, we have a really short time of twilight each night! And somehow I always seem to miss it.....

Also in the magazine was a reader's article, by Edward Bowman. He talked about how we take our best photos when we let our 'unconscious mind' take over. He mentions the work of Sigmund Freud who says the unconscious mind works all the time, but the conscious mind only works some of the time. We use our 'conscious' mind to help set up tripods and the technical side. Our unconscious mind often means we can sense a photo before it arises, meaning that we are ready when the moment occurs. He talks about street photographers being able to sense a moment and have the camera up to their eye ready.

The issue of taking photos in schools also came up, someone was documenting their school dinners and there has been talk about cameras not being allowed in schools at all. This again reminds mw why I am not in the UK.....

No comments:

Post a Comment